Schwab Auditorium was the first Penn State building financed by a private gift. Bethlehem Steel Corporation founder Charles M. Schwab, a University trustee for thirty years, gave $150,000 to build the classic revival auditorium. Completed in 1903, Schwab houses a proscenium stage and a 900-seat, Renaissance-style seating area.
The Center for the Performing Arts uses Schwab’s performance space for chamber music and selected jazz concerts.
Actors From The London Stage, Anat Cohen Quartet, Apollo’s Fire, Brentano String Quartet, Emerson String Quartet, Eroica Trio, Jimmy Heath Quartet, John Scofield and Joe Lovano Quartet, Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson Trio, Los Angeles Guitar Quartet, McCoy Tyner Quartet, Gretchen Parlato, Ron Carter Trio, St. Lawrence String Quartet, Jeffrey Siegel, Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra, Takács Quartet, Terence Blanchard Quintet, and Time for Three are among the artists who have performed in Schwab in recent years.